If you are pregnant and investigating abortion pill costs you probably have a lot on your mind. We want to help you make a decision you are confident in by providing a safe environment that is:
- Free of Charge
At Solutions Health & Pregnancy Center you can learn about the abortion pill and sort out your thoughts and feelings in a safe environment. You can make your decision on your own time without being rushed.
ABORTION PILL NOT OVER-THE-COUNTER
You cannot pick up at the abortion pill over-the-counter or order it online in New Jersey. It is not available without a prescription. You must follow a government-mandated regimen. The Food and Drug Administration lists the requirements for obtaining abortion-inducing medications across the United States.4
- Must be ordered, prescribed, and dispensed by or under the supervision of a healthcare provider who is licensed to prescribe and meets certain qualifications.
- May only be dispensed in clinics, medical offices, and hospitals by, or under the supervision of a certified healthcare provider.
ABORTION PILL COST WITHOUT INSURANCE
The financial cost for the abortion pill regimen in New Jersey without insurance can reach as high as approximately $800 and may include some or all of the following medical services.5
- 2 doctor office visits
- Pain medications
A free ultrasound could help you avoid a significant portion of your expected expenses.
ABORTION PILL COST AFTER INSURANCE
Your share of the cost of the abortion pill regimen after insurance pays depends on the plan. Every plan has cost-sharing elements. In addition, some plans exclude coverage for any abortion-related procedure.
Read more about insurance for elective abortions in New Jersey on a separate page. This page answers these general questions and others.
- What does it cost after insurance pays?
- Will my parents’ plan cover the services?
- Will my parents find out if I take the abortion pill?
- Do I qualify for Medicaid if uninsured?
Since the abortion pill is a prescription medication, your insurance plan’s drug formulary is an additional topic to cover on this page in more detail.
Health insurance plans with prescription drug coverage publish a formulary. A formulary is a listing of coverage levels for a long list of commonly prescribed medications. Most formularies contain tiers, which determine the member’s out-of-pocket cost for the drug.6
- Preferred generic: lowest cost tier
- Generic: lower cost tier
- Preferred brand: middle-cost tier
- Non-preferred brand: higher-cost tier
- Specialty drugs: highest cost tier
The abortion pill is actually two separate prescription medications – Methotrexate followed by Misoprostol (also known as Cytotec). You will need to look up each medication on your plan’s formulary to determine your cost-share for this component of the protocol.
Keep in mind that your plan will have separate cost-sharing features applied to your office visits, ultrasound, and other medications.
With New Jersey Medicaid, you will have to choose between plans offered by five different insurance companies, each with a separate and unique formulary.7 Research the formulary for each company to determine your cost-share amount.
Our free ultrasound provides the positive proof of pregnancy needed to enroll in Medicaid. Use the chart below to identify which insurance company offering Medicaid plans in New Jersey list both abortion pill drugs on its formulary. Also look up the tier level to determine your out-of-pocket cost-share.
- Pregnancies ending in miscarriage
- Available 4th to 10th week
- Ectopic pregnancy treatment
- FDA regimen rules
- Cost up to $800
- Prescription drug formularies
- Five Medicaid insurance companies